Apple iPhone Fires Likely to Lead to Lawsuits
On January 31, 2014, a middle school student in Kennebunk, Maine suffered second-degree burns when her iPhone 5c caught fire in her pants. The 14-year old girl had just sat down before class was to start when she and her friends heard a pop from the phone in her pocket, and smoke immediately started billowing around her. As her pants caught fire, other students rushed to her aid and helped put the fire out.
This is not the first time an Apple product has allegedly burst into flames and caused injury. There have been numerous accounts of similar fires and injuries both in the United States and abroad. Most recently, on August 20, 2013, a California man was charging his iPhone 4 when it suddenly burst into flames reaching at least one-foot in height. He contacted Apple to inform them and figure out whether the smoke he had inhaled was toxic, but they refused to answer and instead offered him only a replacement phone. The California man did not file suit.
Again, in 2009, an iPod Touch exploded in its owner’s pocket causing him second-degree burns. A lawsuit was filed against Apple, alleging that Apple failed to provide adequate warnings as to the risks of their products. The lawsuit was ultimately settled outside of court for an undisclosed amount.
As this issue grows increasingly more common, it will likely result in a slew of lawsuits against Apple.
If you or someone you know has been harmed as a result of a product’s failure to warn, please contact Khorrami Boucher Sumner Sanguinetti, LLP for a private consultation.